If you want to take a class at another school

Any student wanting to take courses at another college or university must first fill out a Permit for Transient Study, and have it approved and on file in the Registrar's Office, before taking the course. This assures the student that the course will be the equivalent of a UNC Charlotte course. The course will fulfill goals and count as a specific course, but the grade will not be calculated into the UNC Charlotte GPA.

If a course is to be taken at a community college in the North Carolina state system, equivalency may be verified by any advisor in the College of Arts and Sciences Advising Center in Fretwell 324. For all other schools, in-state or out-of-state, a course description must be provided and the form taken to the specific department for approval, i.e. a math course must be approved by the Math Department. A student may also use the Transfer Credit Advisor online to help determine equivalency.

If a student is registered as a full-time student (12 hours or more) in the College of Arts and Sciences, he/she may not take any courses at another school with the exception of sign language at CPCC or Rowan-Cabarrus CC. Rules for this may vary by College. Also, students within 30 hours of graduation must get written permission on this form from their department chair to take off-campus classes as this constitutes a waiver to the Residency Requirement.

To complete the process, the student has his/her transcript sent to the UNC Charlotte Registrar's Office and the transfer credit will appear on his UNC Charlotte transcript.

Be aware that no more than 64 credit hours may be transferred from a 2-year school.